Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The ice begins to recede

The March 2011 City Daily Photo Theme Day was My Favourite Part of Town.  So many people posted photos of water that I was inspired to go visit my own water, the Mohawk River.

The city was built on a bend in the river in 1661.  Back then, the river was at the back of the Dutch settlers and the alluvial plain in front of them.  The city gradually expanded along the river bank, and suburbs grew on the other side where bridges crossed it.  Looking at a map today, the political boundaries are easy to see, but looking across from either bank, there are houses looking back.

It rained recently, which means warm water flowing into the river.  The water level goes up and down with the weather.  If there's an ice jam downstream, this will all be under water in a few hours.  For now though, there is a delicate shelf of ice reaching out over the bit of the river bank that's free from winter's grip.

This photograph was taken behind Schenectady County Community College.  I would have embedded the Google map, but the 'embed' was disabled.  Oh well, I was standing at the orange oval to the left of centre.


F Number11.0
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/250
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO200
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

1 comment:

  1. Aw my alma mater, SCCC. Little bit of family history, my parents honeymooned there when it was the Van Dyke Hotel. I remember as a kid the huge chunks of ice along the Mohawk River by Route 5.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin