Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Monthly theme day - Perspective

Toady, the first of the month, is Theme Day in the City Daily Photo Blog community.  Each month, we choose a single subject and we each take a photo that realises the topic.  This month, the theme is Perspective. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

This is a photo of an antenna tower.  I'm a ham; an amateur radio operator.  For me, towers are not only engineering wonders, but a way to make communication possible.  Most amateur towers are held up by supporting steel cables called guy wires.  These wires don't carry any radio signal; they just hold the tower up.  And yet, if I put my ear on one, I can hear the wind singing through the tower and if I touch the guy wire, I can hear the sound pulse travel from one end to the other, reflected back to my ear from the distant end at the top of the tower.

This isn't my tower; I was helping someone with some ham-related work and I just decided to listen to the guy wire.  By the time I thought of getting the camera, it was almost dark, and hand-holding the full zoom at 1/20th of a second was a little difficult.

This theme challenged me and I'm not sure I realised the theme as well as I could have.  Do visit the other blogs - the community is magnificent!


F Number5.6
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/20
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO400
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

No comments:

Post a Comment

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin