Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Theme day - Umbrellas

Each month, on the first, the City Daily Photo community suggests a theme for members to interpret as they see fit.  This month, it's umbrellas.Visit the Monthly Theme page to see how others in the community interpreted the theme.

I was a bit at a loss for this one.  I don't own an umbrella!  My wife has several, but it seemed strange to ask her to pose for me, and I couldn't come up with an idea that was either natural or representative of the area.  As is usual, all I had to do was open my eyes and look.  Literally across the street from me was this beauty.  Some time ago, a neighbour bumped into the fire hydrant and snapped it off.  Water poured out, the fire department and city crews showed up to shut the valve off, and the hydrant was left flopping around in the hole.  Snow came, was plowed onto the broken hydrant, and then it melted again.  Eventually, the city came by and took out the old, broken hydrant and replaced it with a brand new one - this one.

Sure, the top has an umbrella shape, but it's also a metaphorical umbrella, a shield in case of fire.  I'm very glad to have it back.

F Number5.6
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length43.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 86.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/50
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO200
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

5 comments:

  1. julie would be proud of your abstract concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool concept and a great idea for umbrellas designers to think about....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great concept..
    Happy Theme Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your take on the theme, Buck! Such a pretty red, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well this certainly works, very creative thinking!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin