Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Stroh violin



I was at the Greenmarket on Sunday and the Penny Jar band were playing.  It was quite warm (over 90F) and the chairs were set up on the lawn of City Hall, under the trees.  So the band were facing opposite of the usual configuration, giving me a look behind the scenes, as it were.  And I saw this!

This is a Stroh violin.  It's an amplified violin, but the amplification is... mechanical rather than electrical.  It was invented by John Matthias Augustus Stroh in 1899, before the microphone.  You can hear a pretty good example at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkO5y-To3H0.  Now that we have microphones, there aren't that many Stroh violins in circulation.  I was very happy to see it.  Alas, the A string broke (normal wear and tear) and the violinist wasn't able to play the full range of notes.  But she did play it for me!  Nice.

F Number5.6
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/320
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO125
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

1 comment:

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin